• Howard Gallagher

Carbon Monoxide Safety Guide


Smoke and carbon monoxide can harm your family anytime of the year. Carbon monoxide can seep into your home when you least expect it. It is an odorless and colorless gas. Typically it is the result of something burning. In your home your furnace,gas refrigerator,dryer,range,water heater and pellet stove may malfunction and produce carbon monoxide. If your car is left running in the garage then the gas can go through the walls.

Possible sources of Carbon Monoxide


Tightly constructed homes can trap carbon monoxide in a home year-round. Furnace heat exchangers can crack. Majority of carbon monoxide leaks in homes come from furnaces. It is important to check furnace filters and furnace connections to flue pipes. Issues with ventilation can cause back drafting. This is contaminated air mixing with the clean air in your home. There are other areas in your home such as range hoods , dryers, and bathroom fans that can spew carbon monoxide into your home.


Signs of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning


Carbon Poisoning is very similar to the symptoms observed in various viral infections. However carbon poisoning can lead to a slew of chronic health conditions like cardiac failure . Vulnerable people are children, people over 65 and those with chronic heart disease. Headache,Dizziness,Nausea and Chest Pain are the most common symptoms.

Carbon Monoxide Prevention


A carbon monoxide detector is recommended by the CPSC. It is advised to install a battery powered model oppose to one connected to your home’s electrical system. This is to ensure your smoke detector efficiency even when there is a power outage. All gas appliances need to be serviced once a year. Never use a gas oven for heating. Never use portable generators inside the home. Smoke alarms reduce the risk of fatal injury in a home fire by half. Majority of home fire deaths came from properties without smoke alarms.If you notice the smoke alarm go off don’t panic. If it is from a cooking fire then take the pan off the burner and douse any grease fire with baking soda. If you see smoke and hear your home burning then try to stay close to the floor as hot air rises. Contact your local fire department as soon as possible.